"It was said that Gates used to connect the islands together but no one seems to remember how..."
Hivemother Gates are part of a set of mysterious Hivemother objects that can be found scattered around the map. Gates allow player teleport to other gates, acting as the fast travel system for APICO.
Buy 750 Rubees | Sell 0 Rubees
There are 4 Gates that can be found in the world, with one in each Biome. Each Gate is accompanied by a Hivemother Altar within a sort of shrine-like structure. You can also buy extra gates from Merchant.
To unlock a specific Gate and be able to use it, the player needs to have discovered a specific set of bees based on the Biome the Gate spawned in:
Forest Gate - Uncommon Bee • Verdant Bee • Vibrant Bee
Swamp Gate - Muggy Bee • Dream Bee • Worker Bee
Tundra Gate - Frosty Bee • Regal Bee • Twilight Bee
Hallowed Gate - Hallowed Bee • Crystal Bee • Bohemian Bee
Gates bought from the Merchant have no specific bee requirement and can be used freely, however they are quite expensive and the player needs to have already discovered a large amount of bees before they will be able to buy them.
Once all 4 gates are unlocked a 5th location will become available, which will take the player to the Hivemother's Dream.
Once the first 3 gates are opened there is a 5% chance when using a gate that the player will instead be transported to the Dev's Hideout. After returning from the hideout a 6th marker will appear with a glitched appearance allowing the player to go back there again.
- 1. Gate Map
- 2. Extra Storage
This item can be bought for 750 Rubees from Merchant.
This item can be sold for 0 Rubees.
Before being able to buy this item, the player needs to have discovered at least 22 bee species.
- All Hivemother "machines" are unique in the fact that they have small symbol text drawn onto the menu that gives a clue to its function.
- The small symbol text on the Gate menus read: "TO USE THE GATES YOU MUST PROVE YOURSELF WORTHY" on the left-hand side, and "DISCOVER ALL SPECIES SHOWN HERE TO OPEN THE WAY" on the right-hand side
- The map shown on the gate is a 1/3 scale representation of the actual map of the world
- Moving a gate to a different biome does not change it's bee requirements as it's tied to a special OID
- Originally each gate needed all bees from the entire tier to unlock (i.e. Forest Gate needed all tier 1 bees), however this was changed as it put people off using the gates.